DUNAVSKA 4

This is a two-storey house, with a U-shaped floor plan, was built at the turn of the 18th and the 19th centuries.

On the 1745 map of Novi Sad there was a rectangular-shaped house, in its place.
The house had sustained extensive damage in the 1849 Uprising bombing, sharing the destiny of most buildings in the city centre, and it was reconstructed in early 1850s, in Neoclassical style.

On this photo of Dunavska street taken during the Great flood od 1876, we can see that, apart from the new large shop openings, the facade didn’t change much since that time.

The facade of this house can be seen on very few old postcards because it is placed right on the curving part of the street, and both the houses before and after this one have a slightly angled facade. On a photo taken in 1904 or 1905, we can recognise this house in a distance. It is the last one visible on the right side of the street, marked with darker color, than the other houses.

On this photo taken in 1980s, we can see the façade of this house before the reconstruction in the early 1980s, that didn’t chance much since the time of its oldest photo from 1876.

On this photo taken in 1984, we can see that the architraval pediments above the first floor windows are removed, while the groung floor shop openings on the left are still similar to the original ones.

This photo was taken in 1992.

From the archives of ZZSK of the City of Novi Sad (V.M. 90/9, 1992.)

This photo was taken in 1995.

From the archives of ZZSK of the City of Novi Sad (O.Z. 37/8, 1995.)

All the rooms of the shops on the ground floor are under vaults, as well as the arched gateway. These features are the oldest ones, preserved since the construction of this house.

The courtyard facade’s most prominent feature is the communication balcony, with a wrought-iron railing, on the right yard wing, while the left one was demolished in 1948, and later rebuilt, shorter and without a communication balcony.  The original communication balcony on the right wing was replaced with a new one made of reinforced concrete, with the original wrought-iron railing.

The street wing of the house has a double-slope roof, while the short yard wings have a single-slope roof. The street wing and the right yard wing is covered with the original crown tiles, while the newer left wing is covered with modern roof tiles.

The realisation of this site was supported by the Administration for Culture of the City of Novi Sad

Sources and materials of the Institute for Protection of Cultural Monuments of the City of Novi Sad were used for this site

THE NOVI SAD OLD TOWN was declared a cultural property by the decision for determining spatial cultural-historical unit – 05 No 633-151/2008 of 17th January 2008, “Official Gazette of Republic of Serbia” No 07/2008.