This is a two-storey house, with a rectangular-shaped floor plan, on the cadastral lot number 1865. On the 1745 map of Novi Sad there was also a rectangular-shaped house, in its place.
The house had sustained extensive damage in the 1849 Uprising bombing, sharing the destiny of most buildings in the city center, and it was reconstructed in 1852.
The house bears the features of the Historicism style, that were preserved through numerous reconstructions. Here we can see the original 1852 house design by Georga Molnara (Arhiv Vojvodine, ZPM, 128/1852):
The street facade is narrow, and has three ground floor openings in line with the first floor windows, and the attic rose windows.
The ground floor openings are rectangular-shaped, and the right one is the pedestrian passage, while the other two are traditional shop openings, protected by double-wing wooden shutters.
The cross section on the house plan shows us that the rooms of the shop on the ground floor are under vaults, as well as the pedestrian passage, while those on the first floor are under flat ceilings.
The staircase is placed along the left wall of the house, probably because of the narrow cadastral lot. The house has a narrow courtyard on the right side.
On this photo of Dunavska street taken during the Great flood od 1876, we can see that the facade looks just like on the 1852 blueprint by Georg Molnar.
In this photo taken between 1906 and 1908, we can see that no significant changes were made on the facade since 1852.
On this photo taken in 1990s (the photo is kept in the Archives of the ZZSKNS) we can see the façade of the house after the reconstruction in the early 1980s, with no significant changes since 1850s.
For almost 90 years in this house worked the renouned Novi Sad Burek shop “Djordjevic”, that we can see on this photograph.
The shop worked from 6 AM to 11 AM, and here you could buy the best burek in the city.
The burek was made with meat, cheese, apples and cherries, as well as bread and other pastrey. Jovan Vanko Djordjevic has learned the baker’s craft, from his father Nikola.
He took over this shop from Savra Nikolic on the April 1st 1924.
Vanko retired in 1955, and his son Krsta tuk over the shop.
In 1992 Vanko’s grandson Bogdan tuk over the shop after his father Krsta’s death.
In 2012 the shop was closed.
The street wing of the house has a double-slope roof, while the yard wing has a single-slope roof. It is covered with the modern roof tiles.
The realisation of this site was supported by the Administration for Culture of the City of Novi Sad
Sources and materials of the Institute for Protection of Cultural Monuments of the City of Novi Sad were used for this site
THE NOVI SAD OLD TOWN was declared a cultural property by the decision for determining spatial cultural-historical unit – 05 No 633-151/2008 of 17th January 2008, “Official Gazette of Republic of Serbia” No 07/2008.