This is a two-storey house, with a U-shaped floor plan, was built in the second half of the 18th century. On the 1745 map of Novi Sad there were two smaller cadastral lots, with rectangular-shaped houses, in its place.
The house had sustained extensive damage in the Uprising bombing, sharing the destiny of most buildings in the city centre, and it was reconstructed in early 1850s.
It belonged to the family of the then major of Novi Sad Stevan Popovic-Pecija.
Art historians consider it as to be one best proportioned houses in the old city:
“Well ballanced mases of symetrical yard wings with proportionate street wing, acheave a rare harmony.”
The house got its present-day eclectic look in the late 1870s reconstruction, with massive rustic elements in the ground floor.
The picture below is a photo of Dunavska street taken during the Great flood od 1876, we can see part of the neoclassical facade of this house before the reconstruction. The reconstruction that gave this house a present-day eclectic style facade, was probably done right after the flood, at the end of 1870s.
We can also see that he openings on the ground floor had double-wing wooden shutters, with segmental fanlights above each opening. These opening were very similar to the ones preserved in Dunavska 33.
We can see on this photo taken in 1908, that the facade hasn’t chaged much since that time.
This photo of the house was taken in 1992 by the ZZSKGNS.
This photo of the house was taken in 1995 by the ZZSKGNS.
The rooms on the ground floor are vaulted, while those on the first floor are under flat ceilings.
The courtyard facade most prominent feature is the communication balcony, that connects all three courtyard facades, with decorative stone consoles and a wrought-iron railing.
The street wing of the house has a double-slope roof, while the short yard wings have a single-slope roof. It is covered with crown tiles.
The realisation of this site was supported by the Administration for Culture of the City of Novi Sad
Sources and materials of the Institute for Protection of Cultural Monuments of the City of Novi Sad were used for this site
THE NOVI SAD OLD TOWN was declared a cultural property by the decision for determining spatial cultural-historical unit – 05 No 633-151/2008 of 17th January 2008, “Official Gazette of Republic of Serbia” No 07/2008.