This one-story house was built in 1751, in the Baroque style, as evidenced by the high elevations of the roof ridges and wide roof surfaces. This is one of only 8 houses in the center of Novi Sad that did not perish in Buna, thus preserved from the basement to the ridge of the roof – and therefore the oldest house in Novi Sad preserved in its entirety.
The construction method is very similar to the military houses in the Petrovaradin suburb. In the oldest preserved picture from the 1880s, we see this house on the left, and on the right the house that was on the site of Vladičin dvor. Behind we can also see the old tower of the cathedral church.
In the photo from 1899, we see Vladičin dvor under construction, with this house in the frame on the left.
In the next photo, taken around 1905, we see the traditional shop windows on the ground floor, and in the background the new roof of the Cathedral tower.
In this photo from the same period, the details of the facade can be clearly seen, as well as the traditional shop windows on the ground floor.
The owner of the house between the two wars was the merchant Miloš M. Raletić, who broke through large modern windows. The modern storefronts of that time were wooden portals, similar to today’s Technomania storefronts on this house.
In the 1960s, arcades with wide arches were built in place of the storefronts.
On the first floor, the street facade has a row of 12 windows with one blind on the first part of the facade break, which is surmounted by a segmental niche, and on the parapet there is a relief of elliptical ornaments. The last window on the corner towards Pašićeva street is in the form of a “Kibic window”.
The two middle windows on the part of the facade in Pašićeva Street are surmounted by a lunette and an archivolt, with a vase in the center. Above all the other windows are rectangular fields, and below the benches with a prominent parapet. The wall canvas is plastered flat, except for blinds and windows with lunettes, where it is grouted horizontally.
The balcony that connects the rooms on the floor of the courtyard wing of the building is now closed and glazed with large arched openings.
The roof of the street part of the house is pitched, with a high ridge, Baroque style, and is covered with new pepper tiles.
The realisation of this site was supported by the Administration for Culture of the City of Novi Sad
The sources and materials of the Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments of the City of Novi Sad were used for the realization of this website
The Old Core of Novi Sad was declared a cultural asset, by the decision on establishing it as a spatial cultural-historical unit – 05 no. 633-151/2008 of January 17, 2008, “Sl. gazette of the Republic of Serbia” no. 07/2008.