This narrow one-story house was built during the second half of the 18th century, in the style of early classicism. During the Revolt (the Revolution of 1848, i.e. the bombing of 1849), it suffered considerable damage, and was rebuilt with considerable changes, but the plans for the reconstruction have not been preserved. The city plans from 1885 and 1900 show that there were no changes in the dimensions of the building during that period.
Documents have been preserved that show that the house belonged to the family of Josip Pakvor in 1937.
The base of the house is in the shape of the Cyrillic letter “Г”, with a narrow pedestrian passage on the left side and a long courtyard wing on the right. The entrance to the living part of the house is at the end of the passage on the right, with an original, heavily rounded winding staircase, made of red stone with a cast iron railing and ornamental decorations.
On the ground floor, on the facade to the right, there is an entrance with a stretched semicircular vault, and to the left, a wooden storefront with late Art Nouveau decorative moldings, which originates from the 20s of the 20th century.
On the first floor, the facade is dominated by a centrally placed rectangular balcony, which was probably added later, with an iron fence of geometric ornamentation. Here we have three openings, a balcony door in the middle and one window on each side. The facade is decorated with friezes with indented geometric decoration between the openings. The windows are in a simple shallow stucco frame.
In the frieze of the molded cornice, there are small ceiling openings in the form of rosettes, in the axes of the openings on the first floor.
The balcony that connects the upstairs rooms dominates the facade of the courtyard wing of the building, and is set on masonry consoles with smaller arches in between, and with a simple cast iron railing.
The long courtyard wing was subsequently added, which is visible from the different profiling of the consoles and the balcony arches. The additions were made in 1885. The basement rooms are under the main and larger part of the courtyard wing of the house, and are vaulted with cross and Prussian vaults. An iron cellar door with remains of wrought iron floral ornamentation is interesting.
The roof of the street part of the house is on two pitches, covered with biber tiles, and the courtyard wing has a roof on one pitch.
The realisation of this site was supported by the Administration for Culture of the City of Novi Sad
The sources and materials of the Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments of the City of Novi Sad were used for the realization of this website
The Old Core of Novi Sad was declared a cultural asset, by the decision on establishing it as a spatial cultural-historical unit – 05 no. 633-151/2008 of January 17, 2008, “Sl. gazette of the Republic of Serbia” no. 07/2008.