This two-story house, with an L-shaped floor plan, was built in the early 1850s, for the owner Jovan Silic, on the cadastral lot number 1862. In was built in place of an older house destroyed in the 1849 Uprising bombing.
Its original blueprint is kept in the Archives of Vojvodina (ZPM, A138).
On the 1745 map of Novi Sad, there was a rectangular-shaped house, in its place.
We can see the facade and cross section of this house on its original blueprint. The Neoclassical facade hasn’t changed much to this day. The plan also shows a cross-section of the building with rooms on the ground floor under vaults and those on the first floor under flat ceilings.
On this photo of Dunavska street taken during the Great Flood of 1876, we can see that this house in a distance and, as far as we can see, it looks like on the original blueprint.
On this photo was probably taken in 1907, we can see the facade of this house better, and it didn’t change much to this day.
On this photo was taken in 1992, we can see the façade of the house after the reconstruction in the early 1980s, with first-floor “kibic-fenster” windows on both ends.
On this photo was taken in 1995, we can see that the facade looks much like today.
The courtyard facade’s most prominent feature is the communication balcony, with stone consoles and a wrought-iron railing, and part of it closer to the street wing of the house was significantly altered in the 1990s reconstruction.
The street wing of the house has a double-slope roof, while the yard wing has a single-slope roof. It is covered with the original crown tiles.
On this photo, we can see its present-day look of the house.
The realisation of this site was supported by the Administration for Culture of the City of Novi Sad
Sources and materials of the Institute for Protection of Cultural Monuments of the City of Novi Sad were used for this site
THE NOVI SAD OLD TOWN was declared a cultural property by the decision for determining spatial cultural-historical unit – 05 No 633-151/2008 of 17th January 2008, “Official Gazette of Republic of Serbia” No 07/2008.