This two-story house, with a L-shaped floor plan, was built in 1856, in place of an older house destroyed in the 1849 Uprising bombing, by design of the baumeister Anton Lesmeister, for the owner Anton Vigl. On the 1745 map of Novi Sad there was a rectangular-shaped house, in its place. The house was reconstructed in 1867. The owners of this house in the beginning of the 20th century were Karolj Vigl and the family Tomin. At the end of 1930s a renounced merchant Nikola Tanurdzic bought this house.
This house bears the features of the Neoclassical style, as we can see on the photography taken in 1995. The house is narrow with two shop openings and a pedestrian passage in the middle, on the ground floor. The shop openings are protected with the two-winged wooden shutters. Above all the ground floor openings are glass lunettes.
On this photo of Dunavska street taken during the Great flood od 1876, we can see only the adorned cornice of this house, that looks just like the present day cornice.
Facade is more visible on this photo taken between 1906 and 1908, and we can see no significant changes on the facade since then.
On this photo taken in 1992, we can see the façade of the house after the reconstruction in the early 1980s.
The rooms on the ground floor were vaulted, while those on the first floor were under flat ceilings. A decorated stone staircase leads to the first floor. The courtyard facade’s most prominent feature is the communication balcony, with stone consoles and a wrought-iron railing.
The street wing of the house has a double-slope roof, while the yard wing has a single-slope roof. It is covered with crown and modern tiles.
The original look of this house’s facade is mostly preserved to this day. Only the wooden shutters were removed from the shop openings.
The realisation of this site was supported by the Administration for Culture of the City of Novi Sad
The sources and materials of the Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments of the City of Novi Sad were used for the realization of this website
The Old Core of Novi Sad was declared a cultural asset, by the decision on establishing it as a spatial cultural-historical unit – 05 no. 633-151/2008 of January 17, 2008, “Sl. gazette of the Republic of Serbia” no. 07/2008.