This one-story house, with an L-shaped floor plan, was built in 1851, by design of the Baumeister Anton Lesmeister, for the owner Lazar Tapavica.
The house that was in its place sustained extensive damage in the 1849 Uprising bombing, sharing the destiny of most buildings in the city center. Since it was very close to the fortress building the 2nd-story was not allowed on this cadastral lot, as well as on the neighboring number 20.
On the 1745 map of Novi Sad, there was a rectangular-shaped house, in its place.
In the second half of the 19th century the Inn “Kod brudera” was in this house.
From 1931 the owner was Strahinja Bozanic and in this house, he opened the inn “Kod Strahinje”.
The 1852 blueprint for the house on this cadastral lot, designed by Baumeister Laurentius Fojhtner, for the owners Lazar and Tereza Bulic, but it seems it wasn’t the one used in building, judging by its oldest photos from 1876.
The house bears the features of the Neoclassical style, with three rectangular-shaped shop-openings, with martyr neoclassical lunettes above each one. In line with each shop-opening is an attic rose window on the frieze. The walls between the rooms have been removed, forming a single opened space for the shop.
On this photo, taken during the Great flood od 1876, we can see the facade very similar to its present day look, apart from the removed protective double-winged wooden shutters.
On this photo of Dunavska street taken in the 1930s, we can see some changes on both side shop-openings, turned into arched windows.
On this photo taken in the 1950s, we can see the right part of this house, that looks very similar to its facade on the previous photo taken in the 1930s.
On this photo, taken in 1992, we can see the façade of the house after the reconstruction in the early 1980s.
On this color photo, taken in 1995, we can see no significant changes compared to the previous one.
The original narrow courtyard was later also included into the house. The street wing of the houses has a double-slope roof, while the yard wing has a single-slope roof.
The realisation of this site was supported by the Administration for Culture of the City of Novi Sad
The sources and materials of the Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments of the City of Novi Sad were used for the realization of this website
The Old Core of Novi Sad was declared a cultural asset, by the decision on establishing it as a spatial cultural-historical unit – 05 no. 633-151/2008 of January 17, 2008, “Sl. gazette of the Republic of Serbia” no. 07/2008.