The building occupies the corner of Beogradska and Lisinski streets, it is one of the oldest in the block, built in the first half of the 18th century. Together with the building in Lisinski no. 1 was the seat of the city administration of the Magistrate. On the ground floor and on the first floor were the offices of the mayor (Burgermeister). In the period from 1934 to 1942, the archive of Vojvodina was located there, which during the Second World War, until 1945, was moved to the casemates of the Fortress. After the war, the premises of the Local Community were located on the ground floor, and today they are used for a grocery store. The remaining spaces in the building are now used for residential purposes. As the original entrance from Beogradska street is closed, and the staircase to the first floor has been removed, access to the apartments on the ground floor and first floor is from the courtyard, through the passage of the building at Lisinski no. 1.
The building is built of brick, plastered and painted. The roof is high, covered with pepper tiles, with three characteristic chimneys.
The basement is located under the entire base of the building and is vaulted with semi-shaped vaults with vaulted branches. The rooms on the ground floor are also under semi-circular vaults, on the first floor with flat ceilings. The one-story house in Beogradska street number 6 has all the features of baroque architecture, with stucco plastic around the windows and a characteristic corner bay window.
During the work on the renovation of the facade in 1967/68, and then in 2003, this ornamentation was restored and highlighted with a different color. Based on the available archival data, during the first renovation, the corner balcony-bay window was also restored, the upper part of which was extended and closed.
On the ground floor of the building from Beogradska Street, there are two narrow, arched entrances, and between them, two square windows. The windows of the ground floor are framed with simple plaster frames, and the portal at the very corner with a frame made of hewn stones, preserved during the last renovation, in 2003. The wall canvas is plastered flat, without a mezzanine cornice. The corner bay window is circular in shape, in the lower part it is finished in the form of an inverted compartment with a simple ornament in the form of petals. The bay window has three windows divided into four equal parts, and around each window is a plaster frame. A simple molded wreath is placed above.
On the first floor, there are three windows, with plaster frames, placed in the axes of the openings of the ground floor. All windows have a small window below which is repeated stucco plastic with a motif of drapery (flags) with tassels (“lambreken”), characteristic of the Baroque period, while above the windows there are various stylized motifs in the form of lilies, tassels, a network of crossed lines and intertwined tendrils.
The facade in Lisinski Street, on the ground floor and on the first floor, has four windows of the same type as on the facade in Beogradska Street. Above and below the windows of the first floor is decorative stucco with an ornament of different motifs, designed differently for each opening. In the tangle of tendrils there are floral motifs of lilies, vines and acanthus leaves, draped fabrics interwoven with tassels, medallions and stylized monograms. Along the length of both street facades, above the windows of the first floor, a simple profiled roof cornice was installed.
The realisation of this site was supported by the Administration for Culture of the City of Novi Sad
The sources and materials of the Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments of the City of Novi Sad were used for the realization of this website
The Old Core of Novi Sad was declared a cultural asset, by the decision on establishing it as a spatial cultural-historical unit – 05 no. 633-151/2008 of January 17, 2008, “Sl. gazette of the Republic of Serbia” no. 07/2008.