Zlatne grede Street is one of the three oldest streets in the city when Novi Sad was called Racka Varos, and the only one of these three streets that did not lead anywhere further, but ended at the swamp – this one. On the oldest plan of the city, there is one of only nine streets whose name was marked, two of which were in Serbian Velika Charshija (Pašiceva) and this street – Zlatne grede.
On the next picture from 1698, at the end of the earth bridge (on the site of today’s Danube Street) on Petrovaradin direction, we see the road splitting into 3 streets that formed a town: straight ahead was today’s Pasiceva, on Temerin and Budapest direction, to the left Zmaj Jovina in the Futog direction, and to the right the Zlatne grede Street, which ended in the swamp.
In the picture below, on the city plan from 1745, we see how the part of the city called Zlatna greda, on which the street is located, is surrounded by the swamp on all sides except towards Pašićeva Street. It is marked with green in the picture. The narrow branch of the swamp to the north of Zlatna greda was located on the site of today’s Zemljane cuprije (Earth bridge) Street, which got its name from the fact that it bridged this branch of the swamp.
In this plan, we also see how the Grckoskolska (Greek School) Street, continues on Zlatne grede Street, and that this direction ends in the Catolicka porta Square, next to the Roman Catholic Church.
A famous Serbian children’s poet Zmaj Jova was born in this street, in a house on the site of the east wing of the Platoneum. Next to it is Zmaj Jovina Gymnasium. Today’s gymnasium building was built in 1900. In the picture below we see the Gymnasium from Zlatna greda:
This street didn’t change much in the last 100 years, unlike many streets in the neighboring Almaški kraj.
Zlatne grede Street bears this name since the earliest period of the city. On the plan from 1745, it already bears this name. After the First World War, the name of the street was changed to Zmaja Jovanovića Street, and this name was not changed even during the occupation. After World War II, the street was given back the old name Zlatne grede, which it still bears today.