This street was named after the Greek primary school that has been located in it since the middle of the 18th century. The Greek community gave many famous Novi Sad merchants and simidzija (bakers), only to slowly disappear during the 19th century. The Greek school operated until 1863, when it was closed due to the small number of students, and in 1873 it was donated to today’s Zmaj Jovina Gymnasium, ie the “Fund of the Serbian Orthodox High Gymnasium in Novi Sad”.
We do not find this street on the engraving from 1698, but it is already present on the city plan from 1745, with a larger land lot on the site of the Greek school. According to the position of the name of Zlatne grede Street on the plan, it may be that Zlatne grede Street used to include Grčkoškolska Street, as well.
The Greek school building is located around the middle of the street on the right.
During the Buna in 1848, Novi Sad Serbs held a rally in this house, at which they decided to start the uprising.
During the bombing in June 1849, the house was significantly damaged, and it was renovated in 1853 in the Great Reconstruction, according to the plan of Franz Schlaub.
On the corner with Mileticeva Street is a two-storey neo-baroque palace of the Central Credit Bureau, which the old citizens of Novi Sad called the Golden Man, after the bronze sculpture of Hermes on the top of the dome. It was built as a two-story building in 1896 according to the project of the Viennese architect Franz Voruda for the Central Credit Bureau in Novi Sad, which was then the strongest Serbian financial institution in the Austro-Hungarian monarchy. The founders of the Central Credit Bureau in Novi Sad were rich merchants Lazar Dundjerski, Ljuba Stefanovic and Milos Dimitrijevic.
The second floor was added in 1921, designed by the same architect
Grckoskolska Street already existed on the 1745 city plan, and it probably bears this name since the second half of the 18th century. The name of the street did not change, even during the occupation, and only after World War II was it changed to Zmaj Jovina, but on the 1963 city plan, we can already see that the old name of the street was restored.