According to historical sources, this spacious corner one-story house was the residence of Srem bishop Ladislav Serenji (1733-1752). On the corner of the building, above the cordon wreath, an oval-shaped stone coat of arms has been preserved, with a colored heraldic field and decorations in the form of volutes and floral elements. On the damaged surface, a crown with episcopal symbols of cap and baton can be discerned in the upper zone and a half-length figure carrying a spear with a severed head in his right hand, placed on a crown located in the lower zone. In the oval ring is engraved a partially legible text that reads LADISLAUS SZÖRENYI EPPUS. The figures 174?, which probably represent the year of reconstruction of the building for the needs of the bishop’s residence, are engraved on the corners of the block in which the oval is inscribed.
In old photos from 1900, the baroque mansard roof is still visible.
The current appearance of the building, both in the interior and exterior, indicates that a major reconstruction was carried out at the end of the 19th or the beginning of the 20th century. In addition to the coat of arms, the richly decorated portal of the carriage entrance from Lisinski Street, the vaulted cruciform structure in the ground floor rooms at the corner and the opening in the wall at the resting place of the rockery have been preserved from the authentic appearance.
The base of the building is composed of four wings, two street wings and two courtyard wings, which form an atrium courtyard. Of the two original entrances that led to the main staircase, today only the entrance from Lisinski Street is in operation, while the one from the main street is attached to the bar.
The semi-circular vehicular entrance was placed from Lisinski Street. On the ground floor of the street wing in Beogradska Street there are shops, in Lisinski Street residential space, while in the courtyard wings there are auxiliary rooms.
There are apartments on the first floor, which are accessed from communicating balconies connected to the stair verticals.
The balconies are wooden structures, on the part along the south and west wings reinforced with a concrete beam and supported by masonry columns made of shaped pieces of facade bricks. The basement is inaccessible, located under the corner part of the building. The roof construction is shallow, gabled, covered with pepper tiles. The street facades are uniquely designed with an accentuated multi-profiled attic and a simply shaped mezzanine. The wall canvas is plastered flat with horizontally drawn joints in the ground zone. The corner verticals at the floor level are finished in imitation of alternately dropped, rustically finished blocks. On the ground floor from Beogradska Street, there is a series of shop openings of different dimensions and finishes, on the first floor there are eleven window openings. The windows are double-hung with a horizontally placed upper pane, two of which are Kibic-fensters.
The frames around the windows are profiled with an accentuated solbank. On the first floor, above the windows, there are architrave pediments on consoles, in the attic there are ventilation openings with masks made of plaster models.
The facade from Lisinski Street has a series of ten opening axes, the first of which is walled up on the left side of the arched entrance.
The portal of the carriage entrance is uniquely shaped and closed with double-leaf cassette doors made of solid wood. The verticals of the portal are highlighted by narrow pilasters with a rectangular base and finished with composite capitals. The semicircular part is multi-profiled and bordered with a plastically shaped row of acanthus leaves with the end in the crown decorated with the same motif.
The realisation of this site was supported by the Administration for Culture of the City of Novi Sad
The sources and materials of the Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments of the City of Novi Sad were used for the realization of this website
The Old Core of Novi Sad was declared a cultural asset, by the decision on establishing it as a spatial cultural-historical unit – 05 no. 633-151/2008 of January 17, 2008, “Sl. gazette of the Republic of Serbia” no. 07/2008.