The building occupies the corner of Štrosmajerova and Lisinski streets, built in the second half of the 18th century (according to some sources, around 1750).
Together with the building in Beogradska no. 6, it was the seat of the city administration – the Magistrate. In addition to the premises intended for the civil administration of the suburb and the apartment of the mayor (Burgermeister), there was a prison in the basement of the courtyard wing.
In the period from 1934 to 1942, the state archive was located there, which was moved to the casemates of the fortress during the Second World War until 1945.
After the war, the building was completely used as a residence. As the original entrances from Štrosmajerova and Beogradska streets have been closed and turned into residential space, access to all residential units is from the yard, through the gate from Lisinski Street. In the early 1970s, the building was renovated, and the attic was converted into living space. The building has a hipped foundation with an open porch along the courtyard side. The entrance and porch are vaulted with spherical vaults with reinforced split ports.
The rooms on the ground floor are under semi-circular vaults with vaulted branches.
The first floor is reached via two staircases, one is in the porch, to the left of the main entrance from Lisinski street, the other is a winding, wooden one, to the right, from the hallway whose entrance is walled in Štrosmajerova street. All residential units are entered from the porch, that is, the corridor. The first floor rooms have flat ceilings. The vaulted basement is located under the entire foundation of the building. The building was built with bricks of the old format, plastered and painted. The roof is high, covered with pepper tiles, and the skylights are made of galvanized sheets.
The street facades are characterized by a series of architrave finished windows on the ground floor and first floor and a prominent profiled mezzanine and attic cornice. The windows on the ground floor have a simple plaster frame with an accented finish, on the first floor a profiled solbank. The portal from Lisinski Street is wider, semi-circular finished in a simple frame and ending in the crown. The entrance from Štrosmayereva, although walled up, has a preserved semicircular finished frame with a plinth in the heel of the arch. The corner of the building, the main portal and the edges of the street facades emphasize the shallow beds. The courtyard facades have a porch along both wings with a series of open arcades above which, in the axes, are a series of smaller window openings finished with a slight arc segment.
The realisation of this site was supported by the Administration for Culture of the City of Novi Sad
The sources and materials of the Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments of the City of Novi Sad were used for the realization of this website
The Old Core of Novi Sad was declared a cultural asset, by the decision on establishing it as a spatial cultural-historical unit – 05 no. 633-151/2008 of January 17, 2008, “Sl. gazette of the Republic of Serbia” no. 07/2008.