A one-story building, built in the style of romanticism, with a base in the shape of the Cyrillic letter “Г”. The house that was located in this place was most likely burned down in the bombing, in June 1849, in Buna, when only 808 of the 2812 buildings remained intact, of which only 8 were in the city center.
Many houses at that time were: “only without roofs, but they exist with foundations; shops and rooms are vaulted (vaulted) on the ground floors where many merchants, craftsmen and elegant officials live… how good the one- and two-story houses are…” writes the deputation on led by Jovan Subotić.
Therefore, it can be assumed that the basement, and perhaps the ground floor, of the house burned down in Buna, while it got its present appearance in the Great Renovation from the beginning of the 1850s. The plan of this house has not been preserved, so the name of the author is not known, but we can see almost identical facade decoration at Dunavska 33 and Njegoševa 9.
The street facade, with 5 vertical segmentally finished openings and a centrally placed carriageway, is one of the few houses in the city in the Romantic style. The balcony above the carriage entrance has a railing made of spiral wrought iron, flanked by shallow pilasters.
Prozori sprata nadvišeni su karakerističnom uzanom malterskom dekoracijom, koji prate gornji deo prozorskog otvora.
The facade fabric is horizontally grouted on the ground floor, and flatly plastered on the first floor and ends with a frieze with ceiling rosettes in the axis of the window.
The courtyard facade is dominated by a communication balcony on profiled stone consoles, with a wrought iron fence.
On Sauter’s plan from 1889, the house on the then plot number 1941 is marked.
In a photo taken around 1900, we can see that the appearance of the facade has remained almost unchanged to this day.
Photo taken in 1957.
The realisation of this site was supported by the Administration for Culture of the City of Novi Sad
The sources and materials of the Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments of the City of Novi Sad were used for the realization of this website
The Old Core of Novi Sad was declared a cultural asset, by the decision on establishing it as a spatial cultural-historical unit – 05 no. 633-151/2008 of January 17, 2008, “Sl. gazette of the Republic of Serbia” no. 07/2008.