This one-story house was built probably in the second half of the 18th century, and belongs to the style of early classicism, and in the middle of the 19th century, during the Buna (Revolution in 1848, i.e. bombing in 1849), it suffered considerable damage and was later rebuilt on several occasions.
The street facade was changed between the two world wars, and with the reconstruction carried out in the 70s of the 20th century, this house got an appearance that is probably close to the original.
In the address book from 1909, merchant Pal Mačvalski is mentioned as the owner.
The base of the house is in the shape of the Cyrillic letter “Г”, with a right courtyard wing, and the entrance to the residential part of the house is from the courtyard side, with an original stone arched staircase.
On the ground floor, there are four openings in the axis of the windows on the first floor, two of which are storefronts, and two are entrances to bars. Above the opening on the ground floor on the facade, there are arch-shaped elements.
On the first floor of the facade, we see four symmetrically placed double-hung windows above which are triangular pediments on consoles, and below are shallow parapet fields.
The balcony connecting the upstairs rooms dominates the facade of the courtyard wing of the building, with a simple cast iron railing. The courtyard space of this house with the adjacent courtyard of house number 8 forms an atrium space.
The roof of the street part of the house is on two pitches, covered with biber tiles, and the courtyard wing has a roof on one pitch.
The realisation of this site was supported by the Administration for Culture of the City of Novi Sad
The sources and materials of the Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments of the City of Novi Sad were used for the realization of this website
The Old Core of Novi Sad was declared a cultural asset, by the decision on establishing it as a spatial cultural-historical unit – 05 no. 633-151/2008 of January 17, 2008, “Sl. gazette of the Republic of Serbia” no. 07/2008.