This is a two-storey house, with a L-shaped floor plan, built in the second half of 18th century.
On the 1745 map of Novi Sad there was a rectangular-shaped house, in its place.
The house had sustained extensive damage in the Uprising bombing, sharing the destiny of most buildings in the city center, and it was reconstructed in early 1850s. This house was owned by the family Petrovic at the end of 19th century. The family held their inn on the ground floor, and they lived on the first floor.
The house bears the features of a transition style between Baroque and Neoclassicism. Its facade didn’t change much since the reconstruction in 1850s.
On this photo of Dunavska street taken during the Great flood od 1876, we can see that the facade didn’t change much since that time.
All ground floor openings were protected by double-wing wooden shutters.
In this photo taken between 1906 and 1908, we can see that no significant changes were made on the facade.
In a later reconstruction all three shop openings were made equal to the middle one. The shop openings are placed in the adorned martyr frames. The double-wing wooden shutters were removed from the ground floor openings.
On this photo taken in 1992, we can see the façade of the house after the reconstruction in the early 1980s.
On the photo taken in 1995, we can see the water damege on the facade.
The rooms on the ground floor are vaulted, while those on the first floor are under flat ceilings.
The courtyard is very narrow.
The street wing of the house has a double-slope roof, while the yard wing has a single-slope roof. It is covered with the original crown tiles.
The realisation of this site was supported by the Administration for Culture of the City of Novi Sad
The sources and materials of the Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments of the City of Novi Sad were used for the realization of this website
The Old Core of Novi Sad was declared a cultural asset, by the decision on establishing it as a spatial cultural-historical unit – 05 no. 633-151/2008 of January 17, 2008, “Sl. gazette of the Republic of Serbia” no. 07/2008.