The two-story house was built on turn of the 18th and 19th centuries, with an L-shaped floor plan. The house had sustained extensive damage in the 1849 Uprising bombing, sharing the destiny of most buildings in the city center, and it was reconstructed in 1852 for the owners Ana and Teodor Petrovicin, in the style of late-classicism.
On the 1745 map of Novi Sad, there was a rectangular-shaped house in its place.
At the beginning of the 20th century, the owner of the house was Stevan Šoman, and in 1903 he ordered a reconstruction.
The blueprint of the house for the reconstruction by Franz Voruda was made in September 1903, in Wien, for the owner Stevan Schoeman:
The house bears the features of the Neoclassic style, with a strong influence on the Art Nuova, due to several reconstructions.
In this photo of Dunavska street taken during the great flood of 1876, we can see the original neoclassical facade of the house.
In this photo, taken in 1905, after the 1903 reconstruction, the facade got its present-day look.
In this photo, taken in the 1930s, the details on the facade are clearly visible.
In this photo, taken in 1995, we can see the façade of the house after the reconstruction in the early 1980s, with no significant changes since the 1903 reconstruction.
The house has a long right yard wing. The courtyard facade’s most prominent feature is the communication balcony, with decorative stone consoles and a wrought-iron railing.
All the rooms of the shops on the ground floor are under vaults, as well as the pedestrian passage.
The street wing of the house has a double-slope roof, while the long yard wing has a single-slope roof, covered with crown-tiles.
The realisation of this site was supported by the Administration for Culture of the City of Novi Sad
The sources and materials of the Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments of the City of Novi Sad were used for the realization of this website
The Old Core of Novi Sad was declared a cultural asset, by the decision on establishing it as a spatial cultural-historical unit – 05 no. 633-151/2008 of January 17, 2008, “Sl. gazette of the Republic of Serbia” no. 07/2008.