This two-storey house, with a L-shaped floor plan, was built at the second half of the 18th century. On the 1745 map of Novi Sad there was a rectangular-shaped house, in its place.
Some sources claim that it was reconstructed in 1815, but there are no documents to comform it.
This house belonged to the family Polit-Desancic. Mihajlo Polit-Desancic, who also lived in this house, in his book “Uspomene” described Dunavska street and city center before the 1849 bombing during the Uprising. Part of it is availabe in the article: About the Dunavska street
The house had sustained extensive damage in the 1849 Uprising bombing, and it was reconstructed in 1851 for the owner Jovan Polit.
On this photo of Dunavska street taken during the Great flood od 1876, we can see this house in the style of Neoclassicism.
The reconstruction at the end of 19th century gave this house its present day look, in the style of Historicism, with the yellow clinker bricks that make up the first floor street facade. We can see this facade on this photo taken between 1906 and 1908.
In 1909 the owner of this house was Bela Trupel, the musical instruments store owner. The musical instruments store worked in this house for almost 90 godina. On this photo taken in 1995 we can still see the inscriprtion “Musical magazine” above the store.
Bela Trupel ordered a reconstruction of the ground floor, with moving the pedestrian passage to the right side of the house, and widening of the store openings. The later reconstructions didn’t make much changes on the facade.
Rooms on the ground floor are under vaults, and those on the first floor are under flat ceilings.
A decorative stone staircase leads to the first floor. The courtyard facade most prominent feature is the communication. balcony, with a wrought-iron railing
The street wing of the house has a double-slope roof, while the yard wing has a single-slope roof. It is covered with the original crown tiles.
The realisation of this site was supported by the Administration for Culture of the City of Novi Sad
The sources and materials of the Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments of the City of Novi Sad were used for the realization of this website
The Old Core of Novi Sad was declared a cultural asset, by the decision on establishing it as a spatial cultural-historical unit – 05 no. 633-151/2008 of January 17, 2008, “Sl. gazette of the Republic of Serbia” no. 07/2008.