A two-story building known as the “Platoneum”, built in the Romantic style, with a base in the shape of the Cyrillic letter “P”, in 1852, for the owner Giorgi Servijski, on the site of the building that burned down in Buna. His ancestors were the owners of the corner house on this plot since 1770, when his ancestor Aksentije Đurković, a merchant from Karlovac, bought it from Josif Jovanović, the brother of Metropolitan Vincenti.
Bishop Platon (1788-1867) bought this building from Georgij Servijski in 1861, and later donated it to the Fund of the Serbian Orthodox High School. In 1864, due to moving from Pest, the bishop gave a significant part of the house to Matica Srpska.
From 1867 to 1901, the seat of the bishops of Bač was also located here.
From 1935, this building housed the Men’s Real Gymnasium, during the war, the Hungarian Gymnasium, and after the war, from 1946 to 1961, the Vocational and Higher Pedagogical School. In the following years, the building was used by the University of Novi Sad, and from 1978 it was permanently assigned to the Vojvodina Academy of Sciences – which became a branch of SANU in 1992.
This corner two-story building has 10 vertical openings with a central risalite four openings wide, on which there is a narrow main entrance, on the main facade towards Pašićeva street, and 7 vertical openings towards zlotena grede street, with a vehicular entrance along the left edge.
On the rise above the main entrance, there is a main balcony with a wrought-iron railing, and the Serbian noble coat of arms above the balcony door.
The decorative elements around the windows are made in the style of romanticism, and it belongs to the few houses in Novi Sad that bear the characteristics of this style.
The courtyard side is dominated by communication balconies with a wrought iron fence. On the fence of the second floor are the initials “GS” – Gerorgije Servijski and the year 1852.
On the plan from 1745, we see that a corner building with a rectangular base is marked, and as it was originally marked in black, it follows that it had some public function. As the building that was in this place before the Buna was bought by the ancestor of Servijski in 1770, it is not excluded that this building was drawn on this plan.
On Sauter’s plan from 1889, the plot on which the Platoneum is located today is marked – the corner plot in 1881 and the plot in 1880 on which the inner wing was built before 1899. On the adjacent plot in Zlatne grede number 1882, was the house where Jovan Jovanović was born.
In the photo from 1899, during the construction of the Bishop’s Palace, we see the platoneum in its present form, and the built inner wing.
On the city plan from 1900, we see the foundation of the Platoneum, which corresponds to today’s.
Photo of the Platoneum and the Orthodox Church Municipality, taken around 1912.
The realisation of this site was supported by the Administration for Culture of the City of Novi Sad
The sources and materials of the Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments of the City of Novi Sad were used for the realization of this website
The Old Core of Novi Sad was declared a cultural asset, by the decision on establishing it as a spatial cultural-historical unit – 05 no. 633-151/2008 of January 17, 2008, “Sl. gazette of the Republic of Serbia” no. 07/2008.