A corner one-story building known as the “Novice House”, built in the style of early classicism, with a base in the shape of the Cyrillic letter “Г”, at the beginning of the 19th century.

Fortunately, it is one of the rare houses that remained largely undamaged during the bombing in Buna.

After the death of the previous owner, Novi Sad senator Georgi Savić, the house was bought in 1853 by Đorđe pl. Nović (1802 – 1891), lawyer and politician, son of Jefta pl. Nović and Pulherija Countess Branković.

A few years ago, the courtyard wing, which was very dilapidated, was demolished.

The main street facade of “Kuće Novića” is on Pašićeva Street, with 5 symmetrically arranged vertical openings, of which the central three and the main segmentally finished entrance are on the risalita. The facade on Marija Trandafil Square, formerly Zitni trg, has 4 vertical openings, of which the central two are on a shallow ridge. A brick courtyard gate abuts this facade.

The windows on the first floor are architraved, and were once surmounted by architraved pediments.

The facade canvas is plastered flat and ends with a frieze with ceiling rosettes in the axis of the window.

The rest of the courtyard wing is collapsing without a roof, and the communication balcony has collapsed, so we can only see the remains of the profiled stone brackets that supported it. Most of the courtyard wing was demolished a few years ago.

On Sauter’s plan from 1889, the “Newcomer’s House” is marked on the then plots number 1763 and 1764, which indicates that there were two houses in this place in the 18th century.

In a colored photograph taken around 1900, the “House of Nović” can be clearly seen.

In the photo taken around 1930, we see the “House of Novices” at the end of Marija Trandafil Square.

Photo taken in 1995. The floor of the building and the courtyard gate are in much better condition than today.

From the archives of the Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments of the City of Novi Sad (V.M. 49/15, 1992)

The realisation of this site was supported by the Administration for Culture of the City of Novi Sad

The sources and materials of the Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments of the City of Novi Sad were used for the realization of this website

The Old Core of Novi Sad was declared a cultural asset, by the decision on establishing it as a spatial cultural-historical unit – 05 no. 633-151/2008 of January 17, 2008, “Sl. gazette of the Republic of Serbia” no. 07/2008.