The one-story building of the “Isidor Bajić” music school, built in the style of classicism, with a base in the shape of an irregular Cyrillic letter “P”, whereby the base and overall body of the house are adapted to the old street matrix. The house was originally a one-story house, and around 1850, during the Great Renovation, it was renovated or built, in the neo-romantic style, with facade elements very similar to Dunavska 33 (1st building) and Njegoseva 12.

At the time when today’s Negoseva Street was built, it was named Fazanova, after the name of the large inn “Kod Fazana”, which was located on the site of this house. Only after the Uprising was the name of the street changed to Bela lađa, after the neighboring tavern that survived the bombing.

The old inn “Kod Fazana”, where theater performances were held throughout the year, was purchased for the so-called “cloister” – a women’s school run by Roman Catholic abbesses, in 1878 through the efforts of the Novi Sad Hungarian Women’s Society. Later, probably around 1905. year, a floor was added to this house. Since 1953, the “Isidor Bajić” music school has been located in this house.

On the street facade, 11 verticals face Trifković Square, after a slight break in the facade, there is a gate with two more windows above.

On the ground floor, the windows are segmentally finished, as is the gate, with decorations around the opening in the neo-romantic style, while the windows on the later added floor are architrave finished, and surmounted by classicist architrave pediments.

On Sauter’s plan from 1889, this house is marked as a Catholic Girls’ School, on the then plot number 932, and on the square we can see the foundation of the old theater that was demolished in 1892.

In a colored photo taken around 1895, we see Trifković Square with a park, created after the demolition of the first theater in Novi Sad – the Civic Hall. The former “Kloster” girls’ school, which had not yet had a floor added to it, is surrounded. On the ground floor, the facade is very similar to today’s.

In a colored photograph taken around 1900, we see across from this house the completed building of today’s high school “Svetozar Marković”. You can clearly see the facade around the “Kloster” gate and that the floor has not yet been added.

In the photo from 1910, we see an added floor and the appearance of the facade is similar to today’s.

In the photo from 1987, we see that the original facade decorative elements around the windows on the ground floor have been removed, and here they are in simple plaster frames.

From the archives of the Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments of the City of Novi Sad (D – 6/25, 1987)

The realisation of this site was supported by the Administration for Culture of the City of Novi Sad

The sources and materials of the Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments of the City of Novi Sad were used for the realization of this website

The Old Core of Novi Sad was declared a cultural asset, by the decision on establishing it as a spatial cultural-historical unit – 05 no. 633-151/2008 of January 17, 2008, “Sl. gazette of the Republic of Serbia” no. 07/2008.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *