The one-story high school building “Svetozar Marković” was built in the style of historicism, with a base in the shape of the Cyrillic letter “Г”, in 1895 as the Hungarian State Girls’ Civic School, according to the project of Pekla Bela. In 1919, the State Girls’ Gymnasium was moved to this building, and after the Second World War, the Surveying School, then the “Petar Petrović Njegoš” elementary school. Since 1972, the high school “Svetozar Marković” has been located here.
The attic was adapted to the building in 1992, which created another floor.
The street facade of the building is wide, with 13 opening axes, and it is noticeably curved because it follows the old regulation of the street direction.
On the ground floor, at the left end, there is a vehicular entrance flanked by simple pilasters and surmounted by a triangular pediment, while at the right end, symmetry is achieved with an equally decorated pair of windows. Triangular pediments are connected along the lower edge by a profiled mezzanine cornice.
In the axis of the window, on the plinth, there are larger basement windows.
The windows, in molded plaster frames with a discreet finish, are placed in a regular sequence, and only on the first floor are they paired at the ends.
Fasadno platno je u prizemlju horizontalno fugovano, a na spratu ravno malterisano.
The courtyard facade is painted flat with a raised plinth, on which there are cellar openings. The windows are in flat plaster frames with finials, except on the added floor where there is no decoration around the windows.
On Sauter’s plan from 1889, plot number 925 is marked, without the street building, on which the school will be built in 1895.
On the city plan from 1900, this building is drawn as a girls’ school, and we see that the courtyard building is the same as on Sauter’s plan.
In a photo taken before 1899, when the postcard was sent, we see this one-story building, with a facade very similar to today’s, and the inscription Hungarian State Girls’ Civic School, although some sources say that the floor was added only in 1905. The confusion probably arose because The monastery school in number 9 was really a one-story building to which a floor was added in 1905.
In the photo taken around 1930, we see the State Girls’ High School on the right.
Photo from 1992, just before the beginning of the reconstruction.
The realisation of this site was supported by the Administration for Culture of the City of Novi Sad
The sources and materials of the Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments of the City of Novi Sad were used for the realization of this website
The Old Core of Novi Sad was declared a cultural asset, by the decision on establishing it as a spatial cultural-historical unit – 05 no. 633-151/2008 of January 17, 2008, “Sl. gazette of the Republic of Serbia” no. 07/2008.