A three-story building in the modernist style. It has two shorter courtyard wings, with a staircase located in the middle. The building was constructed in 1936/37 for the Guardianship Fund of the Serbian Grand Gymnasium, according to the project of authorized building engineer Danilo Kaćanski. The construction work was carried out by architect Jovan Melka. According to his design, in 1938, a storey building was added to the right courtyard wing. Minor modifications were made in 1944, supervised by Đorđe Tabaković. Previously, there were a high-parterre house and a single-story building on the site of this building.

The facade has five axes of openings, with a wide, shallow risalit featuring a massive rectangular functional projection on the first floor. This projection ends with an open terrace with a masonry railing, executed in an arcade style, on the second floor. One balcony with an identical railing is located at each corner, left and right. Around the large three-wing windows are shallow profiled frames drawn into a lunette above the upper edge. The ground floor zone is clad in ground reddish stone, while the upper sections are smoothly plastered. A wide passage located under the second axis on the left side of the facade is secured with iron wings. Above them is a coffered ceiling. Access to the apartments on the upper floors is via a staircase in the middle wing with short landings and a simply designed iron railing in a modernist style. There is a gallery on the extended courtyard wing.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *