Today’s Futoška Street consists of a larger part of the old Futoška Street, from the Hospital to the old Jevrejska Street that continued on it. The street is located on the route leading from the city to Futog, which two hundred years ago was more important than Novi Sad and the seat of a County.
The city of Novi Sad was built at the crossroads of 3 roads that met at the Zmaj Jova’s monument in front of the bishop’s palace. From the crossroads to the west, through Zmaj Jovina (Main Street), there is a road to Futog and Kamenica, which diverge on today’s Trg Slobode, at the City Hall, to the left (Kralja Alesandra Street) and to the right (old Jevrejska and Futoška Street). From the crossroads to the south, through Dunavska Street, there was a road to Petrovaradin over the pontoon bridge and further to Belgrade, and to the north, through Pašićeva, a road to Temerin (Temerinska Street), and further to Budapest. At the end of Pasiceva street, there used to be an old Inn called “At Three Crowns”, just as the road turned to Temerin, and also the road to Kisac (Kisacka Street) used to separate here. Somewhere in the middle of Zmaj Jovina Street, to the north, another old road separates – the road to Rumenka which leads through Miletićeva Street, then Vojvode Bojovića and Kralja Petra, to Rumenačka Street.
Today’s Futoška Street on the city plan from 1745 was part of the former Futoška Street, one of only 9 streets marked on this map, and stretched from the entrance to the city to Trg Slobode. On Sauter’s city plan from 1889, we see the old Futoška Street that stretched to the synagogue, and further to Trg Slobode the old Jewish Street continued. So, Futoška Street flows through the old Jewish Street(part of today’s Jewish Street and Theater Square) into the Trg Slobode Square, where it merges with Kralja Aleksandra Street and continues as Zmaj Jovina Street.
On Sauter’s plan, we see the most important building in the city marked in black, with inscriptions. We can see the today’s Electrical Engineering School in Futoška Street was already marked on the Sauter’s 1889 city plan, and in the next decade, the Hospital and Iodine Spa complex will be built, as well as the Military barracks.
The building in which the school is located today was erected in 1912 in the Art Nouveau style, as the Hungarian Catholic Gymnasium, but after the First World War, it housed the State Women’s Teachers’ School with a boarding school. From 1935, the school became mixed.
The Great City Hospital, today the Clinical Center of Vojvodina, was built in 1909, with departments for surgery, gynecology and obstetrics, dermatovenereology, internal medicine and infectious diseases.
Novi Sad’s Iodine Spa was created at the end of the 19th century (1897) near the Futoška forest, during the drilling of an artesian well for the needs of supplying the city with drinking water.
Then, hot, mineral, iodine water, with a temperature of 24.6 ° C, erupted, whose healing properties were later analyzed and confirmed. The beginning of the work of the City iodine bath, as an organized health institution, was in 1910, when it received approval for the beginning of work and the status of a medicinal spa. Construction began in 1908 according to the project of architect Imre Franečko from Budapest. The Art Nouveau building of Jodna Banja at that time belongs to the group of the most striking buildings on the west side of the city, which contributed to the ambient quality of the area in which it was located. The health service of the Spa was at a very enviable level. She had a full-time doctor, as well as a specialist balneologist, who was the first manager of the Spa – Dr. Wilhelm Njilt.
Today’s Military barracks “Dr Archibald Rice” were built in 1894, for the needs of the gendarmerie and infantry regiment, after the city expropriated the land of Count Koteg of Futog, for construction.
This is one of the streets used by trams from September 30, 1911 until the same day in 1958, when it was abolished. Line one, known as the white line from Futoška Kapija to Temerinska Street, passed here. This line went from the spa and hospital along Futoška Street, Jevrejska, Zmaj Jovina next to Vladičin dvor and then Pašićeva and Temerinska to the canal, where the line ended.
Today’s Futoška Street had the same name on the oldest plan of Novi Sad from 1745. The part of the street from Trg slobode to the synagogue was changed to Jevrejska ulica at the end of the 18th century, after in one of the first decisions of the newly established Magistrate: Jews were given a deadline to sell their houses and settle in a certain place, in Jevrejska Street. The name Futoška Street remained until the 1930s when it was changed to Kralja Petra II, together with Jevrejska Street. In the period from 1941 to 1944, Rakoczy Ferenc II utca, Futaki ut, and 1944-2000: JNA Street from Trg slobode all the way to the Barracks on Futoški put, and from there first Edvard Kardelj Boulevard, and later Revolution Boulevard. In the 1990s, the names Jevrejska and Futoška streets and Futoški put were restored.