A one-story building of the Serbian Orthodox Church Municipality, built in the style of classicism, with a rectangular base with a small drain on the left side of the courtyard, probably at the turn of the 18th and 19th centuries, and the floor was expanded and added in 1841. During the major renovation of the Cathedral between 1903 and 1905, instead of a simple triangular gable facing the Cathedral, it was decorated with striking pseudo-baroque decoration and a typical contour, along with the reconstruction of the building as a whole, according to the project of architect Mihajlo Harmic.
The street facade of the building has 9 symmetrically arranged vertical openings, of which the central one is the main entrance on the ground floor, and a blind window on the first floor.
The windows on the ground floor are in molded plaster frames. On the first floor, two windows towards the ends of the facade are architraved, and the remaining windows are flanked by shallow pilasters and surmounted by triangular pediments. The windows on the first floor are connected on the lower side by an accented soffit, and between the soffit and the cordon there is a robust series of vertically placed elliptical elements, a motif characteristic of the older layer of construction, e.g. on the houses of the Buda.
On the city plan from 1745, we see a small building on the site of the present building of the Serbian Orthodox Church Municipality, marked in red.
On Sauter’s plan from 1889, this building is marked on the then plot number 1411, and its foundation corresponds to the present one.
The photo taken in 1899, at the time of the construction of the Bishop’s Palace, shows this building before reconstruction, with a simple triangular gable facing the Cathedral.
Photo of the Platoneum and the Serbian Orthodox Church Municipality, taken around 1912.
The realisation of this site was supported by the Administration for Culture of the City of Novi Sad
The sources and materials of the Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments of the City of Novi Sad were used for the realization of this website
The Old Core of Novi Sad was declared a cultural asset, by the decision on establishing it as a spatial cultural-historical unit – 05 no. 633-151/2008 of January 17, 2008, “Sl. gazette of the Republic of Serbia” no. 07/2008.