This one-story house, with a rectangular-shaped floor plan, was built in 1852, by design of the Baumeister Georg Molnar, for the owner Nikola Kramer.
The house that was in its place sustained extensive damage in the 1849 Uprising bombing, sharing the destiny of most buildings in the city center.
Since it was very close to the fortress building the 2nd-story was not allowed on this cadastral lot, as well as on the neighboring one, number 18.
On the 1745 map of Novi Sad, there was a rectangular-shaped house, in its place.
In 1901 this house was reconstructed by the design of the Baumeister Martin Stoice, for the owner Franc Formajer.
In 1909 the owner was Nikola Ivkovic, and in the 1930s in this house was a tailor’s shop owned by M. Danes.
The house bears the features of the Neoclassical style, with three rectangular-shaped shop-openings on its shorter facade onto Dunavska Street and the longer facade is onto Ignjatija Pavlasa street. Originally the rooms onto Dunavska Street were part of the shop, while the rooms with windows onto Ignjatija Pavlasa street were for the living. These rooms for the living were also transformed to shops, with wide portals, in the past two decades.
On this photo of Dunavska street taken during the Great Flood of 1876, we can see the facade very similar to its present day look, apart from the removed protective wooden shutters.
On this other photo of Dunavska street taken during the Great Flood of 1876, we can see also the longer facade of this house with windows.
We couldn’t find any other photos of this house before the 1990s.
On this photo, taken in 1992, we can see the façade of the house onto Dunavska Street, after the reconstruction in the early 1980s, and it is very similar to its present day look, apart from the vases on the ends of the roof parapet, that were still present at the time.
On this photo, taken in 1992, we can see the facade of the house onto Ignjatija Pavlasa street, with a row of windows of the living spaces, that are later adapted to shop portals.
On this photo, taken in 1995, we can see no changes compared to the previous one.
This corner house covers the entire cadastral lot.
The roof is covered with the original crown tiles.
The realisation of this site was supported by the Administration for Culture of the City of Novi Sad
The sources and materials of the Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments of the City of Novi Sad were used for the realization of this website
The Old Core of Novi Sad was declared a cultural asset, by the decision on establishing it as a spatial cultural-historical unit – 05 no. 633-151/2008 of January 17, 2008, “Sl. gazette of the Republic of Serbia” no. 07/2008.