This is a two-storey house, with a U-shaped floor plan and a slightly angled facade, along the old curved street line. It is one of the older houses in the city.
Based on the shape of the vaults of the ground floor rooms and the adorned stone consoles of the communication balcony, it is assumed it was built at the beginning of the 19th century. It has long yard wings, that get closer toward the far end of the land lot.
On the 1745 map of Novi Sad there was a rectangular-shaped house, in its place.
The house had sustained extensive damage in the Uprising bombing, sharing the destiny of most buildings in the city center, and it was reconstructed in early 1850s, in the style of Neoclassicism.
On this photo of Dunavska street taken during the Great flood od 1876, we can see that the facade didn’t change much since that time, but there are no decorative ornaments with sculptures of heads with helmets, on the parapet wall.
The facade of this house can be seen on very few old postcards because it is placed right on the curving part of the street. The curving street line is also the reason for a slightly angled facade on the right edge of the avant-corps. We know that this photo was taken in 1904 or 1905 because the house at the number 27 was just finished. We can see this house in a distance, the second one from the end, and it is marked in darker color. The first floor facade seems to be similar to its present look.
On this photo taken in 1980s, we can see the façade of this house before the reconstruction in the early 1980s, that didn’t chance much since the time of its oldest photograph from 1876, accept for later addition of sculptures of heads with helmets, under the windows.
On this photo taken in 1992, we can see the façade of this house after the reconstruction in the early 1980s, and the only significant difference from its present day look are the new bigger openings of the retail spaces in the ground floor, instead of the tradition ones.
All the rooms of the shops on the ground floor are under vaults, as well as the arched gateway for vehicals.
On these photo we can see the gateway in 1994 and today, side by side.
The courtyard facade’s most prominent feature is the communication balcony, that connects all three courtyard facades, with different types of decorative stone consoles and a wrought-iron railing. Both ends of the communication balconies are connected with a bridge.
On these three photos taken in 1994, the courtyard look was very close to the original.
Present apperance of the courtyard’s facades is very different, compared to 1994. The groud floor rooms have been adapted to retail spaces, with new wide openings for portals, and modern concrete tiles for the courtyard.
The street wing of the house has a double-slope roof, while the short yard wings have a single-slope roof. It is covered with the original crown tiles, the part of the left yard wing that was added in some later reconstruction.
The realisation of this site was supported by the Administration for Culture of the City of Novi Sad
Sources and materials of the Institute for Protection of Cultural Monuments of the City of Novi Sad were used for this site
THE NOVI SAD OLD TOWN was declared a cultural property by the decision for determining spatial cultural-historical unit – 05 No 633-151/2008 of 17th January 2008, “Official Gazette of Republic of Serbia” No 07/2008.