The two-story house was built in 1904, with an L-shaped floor plan, for the owner Mathilda Schoeman. For the first few years, the Stevan Schoeman’s stonemason shop with a tombstone warehouse was in this house. In 1968 it was reconstructed and became part of the Novi Sad City Museum.
On the 1745 map of Novi Sad, there was a rectangular-shaped house in its place.
The one-story house that stood in its place had sustained extensive damage in the 1849 Uprising bombing, sharing the destiny of most buildings in the city center, and it was reconstructed in the early 1850s for the owner Dimitrije Nedic.
The blueprint of the house by Franz Voruda was made in September 1903, in Wien, for the owner Mathilda Schoeman:
The house bears the features of the Neobaroque style, with a strong influence on the Art Nuova.
In this photo of Dunavska street taken during the great flood of 1876, we can see a one-story house on the same land lot, built in 1852 for the owner Dimitrije Nedic.
In this photo, taken in 1905, just after the house was finished, the facade is clearly visible .
In this photo, taken in the same period, the details on the facade are even more visible.
In this photo taken in 1912, there are no changes on the facade.
In this photo, taken in 1992, we can see the façade of the house after the reconstruction in the early 1980s.
In this color photo, taken in 1995, the facade hasn’t changed much since 1992.
The house has a long yard wing. The courtyard facade’s most prominent feature is the communication balcony, with decorative stone consoles and a wrought-iron railing.
The street wing of the house has a double-slope roof, while the short yard wings have a single-slope roof, covered with crown-tiles. The central mansard part of the street slope of the roof is covered with etherit tiles.
The realisation of this site was supported by the Administration for Culture of the City of Novi Sad
Sources and materials of the Institute for Protection of Cultural Monuments of the City of Novi Sad were used for this site
THE NOVI SAD OLD TOWN was declared a cultural property by the decision for determining spatial cultural-historical unit – 05 No 633-151/2008 of 17th January 2008, “Official Gazette of Republic of Serbia” No 07/2008.