This is a two-story house, with a U-shaped floor plan.
The house that used to be in its place had sustained extensive damage in the Uprising bombing, sharing the destiny of most buildings in the city center, so this house was built in the early 1850s.
On the 1745 map of Novi Sad, there were two smaller cadastral lots, with rectangular-shaped houses, in its place.
Some sources say that in the 19th century this house was owned by a wealthy calvary officer Anton Gajrup, but no documents about this house from this period have been saved.
The house got its present-day facade in the 1925/26 reconstruction, by design of the builder Filip Smit, for the owner Gedeon Dundjerski.
The house bears the features of the late Neoclassical style.
On this photo of Dunavska street taken during the Great flood od 1876, we can see part of the cornice and the balcony of this house before the reconstruction, so it was probably built in the early 1850s.
On this photo, taken in 1908, we can see the original facade of this house with a balcony and many different features in the style of Romanticism, before the 1925/26 reconstruction.
On this photo, taken in 1912, we can see the original facade even better.
On this photo taken in the 1950s, we can see the facade similar to its present-day look, but with windows on the ground floor.
On this photo, taken in 1992, we can see the facade of the house after the reconstruction in the early 1980s, with no significant changes since 1926 reconstruction.
On this color photo, taken in 1995, the facade is similar to the previous one, apart from right end ground-floor window adapted to a shop-opening.
The arched gateway for vehicles has a double-winged wrought iron gate, with the monogram of Gedeon Dundjerski in the middle, which was made in 1926.
The courtyard facade’s most prominent feature is the communication balcony, that connects all three courtyard facades, with decorative stone consoles and a wrought-iron railing. Both ends of the communication balconies are connected with a bridge. At the end of the right yard-wing is a round tower built in 1926. We can see the craft knife sharpener’s shop “Hosek”, here since 2007.
Two one-story buildings are added to the yard wings, have a great architectural value because of the opened porch with Tuscan columns.
The porch is later adapted to the living spaces, and then to shops in the 1990s, each one between two columns. The photos were taken in 1992 and 2018:
The street wing of the house has a double-slope roof, while the short yard wings have a single-slope roof.
It is covered with crown-tiles.
The realisation of this site was supported by the Administration for Culture of the City of Novi Sad
Sources and materials of the Institute for Protection of Cultural Monuments of the City of Novi Sad were used for this site
THE NOVI SAD OLD TOWN was declared a cultural property by the decision for determining spatial cultural-historical unit – 05 No 633-151/2008 of 17th January 2008, “Official Gazette of Republic of Serbia” No 07/2008.